SC - Couple of OOP questions..

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Nov 14 01:26:47 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> "James F. Johnson" wrote:

> > La cotta brevettata (the quick little cooker?)
>
> According to the AltaVista translation site, "brevettata" means
> "patented". It claims the phrase means "patented cooked one", which
> could indicate that the clay is baked according to a patented process,
> or it could simply mean Computers Are Stupid. Or it could mean patented cooker.

To be more specific about the imprint, this line is actually two lines.
The top one is "LA COTTA" and under that in smaller caps is
'brevettata.' Hence, it's more like La Cotta (brevettata). I suppose
'patented would work fine.

To me, it looks definitely larger than a crocque-monsieur mold. More
along the size and shape of a fajita pan. I'm a little tempted to go
along with 'Lainie's fritatta idea, except the only way I can thing to
heat both sides without exposing the plastic handle to direct heat is to
put the thing into a salamander, which makes it a bit redundant for a
fritatta, unless the design makes for a cooked but not browned fritatta.
And then why oval, not round?

Yes, I remember the folding omelette pans. I occasionally see one in the
second hand stores (a constant source of amusement for the
archaeologically minded...). But while those pans were two halves of a
circle hinged along the diameter, this is two ovals hinged at the narrow
ends, not the side. An odd arrangement for join two halves of food.

I have doubts it's a stove top utensil, because of the oval shape. Most
stove burners and elements are round. Either you have two ends sticking
out away from the heat, or you waste heat along the sides.

James