SC - Good Broth

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 07:55:29 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/14/99 8:09:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< Amen, Brother, but you are preaching to the choir. >>

Perhaps it is time for the choir to do a lot more public concerts.

<< A recent offering at a local A&S symposium was a class on how to simplify
eventing by using modern methods of camp cooking. >>

For some reason I don't find this surprising. For the last 2 years there
seems to be a concerted effort by certain individuals in the SCA to emphasize
comfort over more authentic means of doing things. While this is not
necessarily a bad thing, it often does so by denigrating or falsely
portraying medieval ways. this is one of the main reasons I am pushing our
shire's blacksmiths to finish the Italian Military Kitchen. Who knows a
possible cook-off between the Coleman Fantasy kitchen crowd could result. :-)

  <<The really frustrating thing is that my Household is puzzled at my lack
of desire to jump on the bandwagon.>>

I am lucky to live in a shire that encourages members to be as authentic as
possible. Certainly major concessions are made to modern life such as the use
of coolers but, alternatively there is plenty of advice circulating about how
to cover your cooler with material that hides it's modern appearance. While
modern tents are not discouraged many folks have pavilions and classes are
taught on how to paint designs and heraldry on your modern tent. Public
displays of medieval reproductions at local arts festivals, museums and
libraries assure that acquisition of actual tools and accessories is
encouraged either through purchase or classes in making them yourself. The
cooks have complete control over their own menus. Themes may be suggested but
menu content is under total control of the Kitchen Steward. 'Modern' foods
while not denigrated are relegated to breakfasts and lunches, each of those
meals having its own Kitchen Steward separate from the one in charge of the
feast proper. Indeed, breakfast or lunch is frequently done by persons who
are just beginning to learn mass cooking and menu planning. Cadoc, of this
list, has done fantastic work in the area of breakfast planning, preparation
and service.

 << I think I made my  point when I told Lord Davor that he could simplify
eventing by leaving his  rattan and armor home and just take a gun.  >>

Well spoken! :-) Sometimes it appears as if folks encourage authenticity in
garb, accessories, weapons, footwear and other areas yet those same folks
insist on potatoes and pizza at a feast. At least, from the horror stories I
hear, they often do. Thankfully, those people have no control in my kitchen.
:-)

Since we initiated the bidding process for events in the shire many years
ago, almost all of those types of problems have ceased to exist. List members
in more controlling shires and houses have my deepest sympathies.

Ras