SC - Millet recipe

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 15 19:20:04 PST 1999

> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << Would this be a sausage of some type or something else. >>
>
> Considering the source, style of cookery and most importantly similarities in
> the final dish, I would be inclined to go with sausages rather than chitlins.
>
> Ras

I'm not sure how chitlins got into this conversation. The original recipe
said in part:
> Para hazer escudilla de mijo, o de panizo machado -- To make a dish of
> millet, or of chopped panic-grass
>
> Take the millet, or chopped panic-grass, clean it of dust, and of any
> other filth, washing it as one washes semolina, and put it in a vessel of
> earthenware or of tinned copper with meat broth, and cause it to cook
> with stuffed intestines in it, or a piece of salted pig’s neck, to give it
> flavor, and when it shall be cooked, mingle with it grated cheese, and

My question was about the "stuffed intestines". I thought chitlins were
fried skin? or perhaps fried intestines? Anyway, perhaps "stuffed
intestines" are really what we genericially call sausage? So, would all
"stuffed intestines" be sausages? If so, then what kind of sausage would
you suggest? Fresh? Smoked? This would seem to leave a bunch of variation
in possible seasoning open.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net