SC - Early Period A&S Entries

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Nov 16 07:51:15 PST 1999

hiya from Anne-Marie

Hauviette tells us:
>Agreed. On a personal note, I have been openly discouraged from submitting
>Apician recipes to A&S because its "not period". When I looked at the copora,
>it only states pre-17C. No date is set on the other end. Now, doing cave man
>stuff may be rediculous, but Imperial Roman, as in 1-4th C (what Apicius is
>purported to be from) what is non period in that. . . .

This may help...Apicius, while done around the 4th century, was reprinted
over and over during the period considered appropriate for the SCA. Also,
someone told me once that during the Italian Renn, they'd dress up in togas
and do "re-enactment" feasts :).

If it was reprinted over and over, someone must have been reading it, no? I
think people are thinkin' "Ancient ROme? that's not medieval!" forgetting
that "roman" covers a huge spread of time and area.

- --AM