SC - Last Unanswered Buffet

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Nov 17 12:32:41 PST 1999

Okay, here are a couple of the recipes for the vigil feast. All of these

come from Pleyn Delit.

Cariota
Roasted Carrots

Roast carrots in the coals, then peel them, cleaning off the ashes, and
cut them up. Put in a dish with oil, vinegar, and a bit of wine; scatter

a few mild herbs on the top.

The recipe listed in the book:

1 lb carrots (8 medium large)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp each white wine vinegar, white wine
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs: parsley, and a pinch each of any
    other fresh, mild green herbs (eg, dill, chives, tarrragon, thyme
    marjoram)
salt and pepper to taste

Scrub and scrape carrots, and brush lightly with oil. Either
roast ine a 400 degree oven or arrange in one layer in a
suitable dish for microwaving and microwave at full power,
uncovered, 15 minutes. Slice into a serving dish and dress with
minced herbs, oil, vinegar, wine, and salt and pepper to taste.

I plan on lightly roasting them to get the flavor but still have
crunch. Everything else I'll pretty much follow the listed
recipe because the period recipe is pretty straightforward.

Pastez Nourroys
Norwegian Pasties

Take cooked meat chopped very finely, pine nuts, currants
and semi-soft cheese finely minced, and a little sugar and
a little salt.

Thinly rolled pastry to make 12 turnovers or 12 small tart shells
2 cups boiled beer or other cooked meat or fish
1 cup semi-soft cheese (optional if using fish)
2 oz pine nuts(optional if using fish)
1/4 cup currants (optional if using fish)
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 1/4 tsp ground ginger, if using fish; pinch sugar

Chop the meat and cheese together finely, preferably in a food
processor; boiled fish can be simply mashed with a fork. Add
seasonings and, if using meat, nuts and currants. Fill tart shells
or make into turnovers; bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes
or if you have made turnovers, fry until nicely browned.

She explains that there are several references hence the list
of optional ingredients and the plain fish in pastry seems very
nordic. We are planning on cooked turkey in some and boiled
fish in others, all with cheese and spices.

Gunthar