SC - Venetian Supremacy

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Thu Nov 18 14:59:41 PST 1999

Lrd Ras wrote:
>Please read this entire site to get the kernel of my argument. Wadji was
kind
>enough to forward it to me.
>
>http://www.astaspice.org/history/history_01.htm

I had already looked at this site the day before my last post when I was
researching for our Islamic influence discussion, but as you requested I
looked at it again today.  Nice site.  I kinda groaned when they did the
'period food was rancid and inedible so had to be covered up with spices'
thing, but hey, common misconceptions will prolly never go away will they?
I still don't see how this supports you sweeping generality that Venice was
the commercial center of the known world.  It has some wonderful material
for our other discussion, but I don't see how it applies here.  In fact, it
makes quite a point of saying that _everything_ (spice wise) that went to
Venice came through Cairo and Alexandria.  This is incorrect, IMO, but as
far as using this for support of your contention in this discussion, seems
to me that makes them pretty darn important centers of commerce as well.

Sadly, I do not have access to the other two sources you quoted.  Are they
on spice as well, or are they more geared towards the Venice debate?

regards, Puck