SC - oyster pie - Where to buy Verjus

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Nov 18 20:55:33 PST 1999

Rose replied to me with:
> You mentioned "back to the wine history book". I don't know if you had
> a specific one in mind, but at least one is mentioned in this file in the
> BEVERAGES section:
> wine-msg         (113K)  5/21/99    Medieval wines.
>
> ********************
> I do have a specific one in mind, but, as usual, I can't remember the title
> of it at the moment.  Something like "Vine to Wine?"  It's fairly
> comprehensive, and a rather pleasant read.
>
> Rose :)

There are probably a multitude of books on the history of wine and many more
on wine itself. The following message describes the book I was thinking of.
While I have several annotated bibliographies on cookbooks for period foods,
I don't have one to cut through the morass of all these wine books. I wish I
did. (hint. hint. Ras?)

Stefan

> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:01:52 -0500
> From: roger boulet <boulet.roger at mcleod.net>
> To: sca-arts at raven.cc.ukans.edu
> Subject: Re: Period grape varieties
>
> For those interested in the history of grapes and wine I reccommend this
> book "DIONYSIS, A Social History of the Wine Vine" by Edward Hyams,
> Sedgwick & Jackson, London 1987 ISBN 0-283-99432-0. The author attempts
> to trace the histroy of grape growing from it's beginning to modern
> times using archeological evidence and genotype information.
>
> It's been some time since I read the book but I do remember that several
> varieties still cultivated trace to pre roman times including the Pinot
> Noir. He also deals with new world vines.
>
> Roger

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net