SC - Re: Recipes with Beer and Ale?

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 05:55:35 PST 1999

Christianna writes:

"A while back, we had a discussion about recipies with beer and ale in
them.  The only one I can find that I saved is for a bean dish, from En
guter spice
(31. Ein spise von bonen (A food of beans).  Our chronicler is putting
out the next issue of our newsletter, and has said that the only things
she has for this issue are beer articles, and unless she got some
recipies or something, it was going to be a beer issue.  (Get the drift
of where I'm going with this one?:)  I had thought I had a beer-cheese
soup recipie or something, but I guess I didn't save one because I can
make that anyway.  I'd be pleased to see other recipies, preferably
period ones to go into the Beer Issue. "

How about this one?

CHYKONYS IN BRUETTE
Chicken in Ale Sauce

Take [an] Sethe Chykonys, & smyte hem to gobettys;  (th)an take Pepir,
Gyngere, an Brede y-grounde, & temper it vppe wyth (th)e self brothe, an with
Ale; an coloure it with Safroun, an sethe an serue forth.
Harleian MS 279

3 or 4 pounds chicken, cut into serving pieces.
2 T butter
3/4 C ale or beer
3/4 C broth from boiled chicken
1/2 tsp each pepper and powdered ginger
1/4 tsp saffron
1 C white bread crumbs
Salt to taste

1.  In a large pot or heavy frying pan, over medium heat, melt butter and
brown the chicken well on all sides.

2.  Add water to the pot, just covering the chicken, bring to a boil, reduce
heat, and simmer, covered, for thirty minutes, or until chicken is cooked
through and tender.  Remove from heat.

3.  With a basting nozzle or ladle, draw off 3/4 cup of the broth in the pot.

4.  In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine broth, ale, and spices.  Stir in
bread crumbs, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring
occasionally, for about five minutes.

5.  Arrange chicken pieces on a serving platter, and pour the sauce over them.

Serves four to six.

Rudd Rayfield