"In common use. . .?" Was: SC - French toast?

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Fri Nov 19 07:37:25 PST 1999

Copied and Edited:
Subject: Re: SC - French toast?
>Maple Syrup is marginally period, BTW, the English brought some back
>from Florida (reference the adventures of Sir John Hawkins) in the 1560's
>(along with tobacco, which the French were already familiar with from
>explorations in Florida)

Now, just because it was brought over as a sample I wouldn't call it period.
  If it was available and used regularly by some portion of the society,
then I would...
Cadoc

     This brings up and interesting point that some other living history and
re-enactment groups use, "In common use."  I know there is some dispute over the
accuracy of maple syrup from Florida.  That is not my point here rather, the in
common usage idea.
     I've seen some interesting ideas of 'period things' however there is often
no mention if an item was 'in common use' or not.  Maybe is is a personal goal
or ideal but shouldn't we be looking to recreate the things that were more
common not bizzare or out of the ordinary.  I know sometimes documenting
something that is unusual is often for personal convience but should we be
looking to more often recreate/document the 'in common use' item?
For some periods this would certainly be easier, where there is multiple
representations of life, culture and actual items; archeological finds and
depictions from period sources (personal manuscripts and accounts, legal
records, stories/ poetry, other art froms).  But then how do you accurately
portray these other cultures with fewer sources? Or do they have a different
academic standard?  Maybe a few people here could offer some insight?
      Hmm I've just be rethinking my persona, what I am recreating and getting a
little frustrated.  It just irritates me at demos what some people say, do and
demonstrate... There is far more to a persona than just having garb.  There are
all sorts of cultural issues: education, past times, fears and beliefs
(religious or otherwise), work, class structure, etc.  Trying to have a complete
and unified persona is very difficult...
     Off the Soap Box (for a little while)
          CH
- -----
Lady Clare Hele, Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
Nemo est bellus nisi qui amavit.