SC - Venetian Supremacy

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Fri Nov 19 10:03:15 PST 1999

>Most of the spices shipped by sea, were delivered to Cairo, having been
>shipped from India to Mocha when the winds were favorable, then were
usually
>sent north on the Red Sea to a port just south of Cairo.

Lord Bear, thanks for this post.  One question I have though is the Mocha
part.  I am unfamiliar with this area/port and was wondering if you could
provide some more information about it.  At first I had wondered if it was
another name for the area surrounding the Straights of Malacca (sp?), but
then we also have the modern term Mocha.  Is there any connection there?

>If you are willing to consider a slightly earlier set of records, the Tax
>Laws of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, clearly show that some spices came via
>caravan from the East to Jerusalem.  They apparently were not as choice as
>spices arriving by sea, because the tariffs are lower.
>
>Bear

I am always willing to consider any records.  I remember you bringing this
particular one before us in the recent past and had earmarked it as one to
look at on a list of many, but didn't think to check it during this most
recent discussion.  I'll look at it this weekend, thanks!  I'm presuming the
difference in quality was due to longer transit time in a more hot and arid
climate?  In the waters surrounding the Middle East and India the weather is
close to unbearably hot, but compared to the climate ashore its downright
comfortable at most times of the year.

regards, Puck