SC - Assistance Please - Kiev 1300s feast?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 17:48:06 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/21/99 5:07:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
HICKS_M at casa.gov.au writes:

<< Suggestions please ? >>

Pick another time and place?

There have been many requests for period recipes from this part of the world.
Although I fail to see the current 'fascination,' i can understand trying to
do a feast that no one has done before. On that basis, Kiev fits. :-) But the
reality of the matter is that until we convince someone who is either an SCA
member or a professor at a Russian university to 'share' any manuscripts that
their may be available, there really is no information to share.

The same problem occurs in the Middle East, where there are hundreds of
manuscripts to be translated. The bazaar and unreasonable restrictions that
these countries place upon outside scholars to access their archives and copy
and bring back their findings is so mixed up in stupid rules and unnecessary
red tape that it makes any research almost impossible for non-natives.

Convincing the people who l.ive there to share these manuscripts is the only
solution, IMO.

Ras