SC - maple syrup

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 17:39:08 PST 1999

Just a reminder that Florida is a loooong state, and encompasses
several climates.  The sub-tropical weather for which Miami is famous
is promoted by the gulf stream's proximity, and is mostly limited to
the areas known as the Gold Coast and the Everglades - from Lake
Okeechobee south.  The peninsula of Florida has the same weather as
Georgia.  Tallahassee sees snow (flurries) about every other year.
Though the beaches seldom frost, inland Florida freezes several times a
year.  In fact, the citrus industry was forced to move south from
Orlando to the Indian River area to avoid those freezes.   Luckily, the
theme parks and tourists don't seem to mind a little frost at night.

Tara
Third-generation Floridian - who remembers snow in Miami in '74.

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I would most like to see any evidence you may have which might show a
sugar
> maple growing in the Miami area. Since the trees must freeze in the
winter,
> causing the sap to stop flowing in the tree. The thaw in the early
spring
> once again allows the sap to flow. This first flowing of sap lacks
the
> bitterness that develops as the season progresses. SAFECO, the
weather
> conditions in Miami are not in tune with the natural cycle that
allows
maple
> sap to be used for sugar. I have NOT studied this area so I can give
no
> references but as a gardener I am more than a little curious. ;-)

Ras