SC - medicinal cooking

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:21:51 PST 1999

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 23-Nov-99 SC - medicinal
cooking by Mike Young at lcc.net
> In the back of Maggie Black's Medieval Cookbook is a chapter on recipes for
> illnesses.  Could anyone recomend further readings on this topic?

Chiquart's On Cookery has a chapter devoted to foods for the invalid.

The Good Housewife's Jewel (I believe) either part I or II has a large
section on potions and foods to treat illnesses.

Platina not only gives recipes, but tells about the healing properties
of various foods, and hints on how to prepare medicinal concoctions with
the various ingredients.

toodles, margaret