SC - Thanksgiving

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 15:27:52 PST 1999

Mermayde Keep (Mistress Christianna's household) were planning on going
out for a change (gasp!) but we just couldn't do it.  So we're throwing
together a last minute feast.  Don't know the whole menu but glazed ham
and leg of lamb have been discussed.  My contribution will be a couple
of perioid recipes I've not tried before:

SWEET POTATO SOUP
3 sweet potatoes
3 leeks
3 carrots
4 slices of ginger
3 cloves of garlic
2 pints chicken stock or broth
1 can evaporated milk
cinnamon
Pam or vegetable oil

Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and carrots. Slice the white part of
the leeks. Spray a soup pot or heavy pan with Pam. Sauté the potatoes,
leeks, carrots, ginger and garlic in a little chicken stock, then add
the rest of the stock.  Bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes. Turn
off heat, and cool slightly.  Purée the soup with a hand mixer and cool
a little more. Add 1/2 can of evaporated milk. Sprinkle with a little
cinnamon and enjoy!

The next one came from a Emeril live show on Andalusian food (love my
Cooking channel) and reminded me of the gazpacho discussion a month or
so ago.  Don't know where he got it, but it sounds period and would be
great for summertime in Meridies:

WHITE ALMOND GAZPACHO WITH MELON
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 1999

4 slices white bread, crust removed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup water
3/4 cup blanched almonds
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium honeydew, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/3 cup Spanish extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons Spanish Sherry vinegar
4 cups cold water
1 1/4 cups honeydew melon balls

Place the bread in a shallow bowl and cover with the water. Allow to
sit for a few minutes. In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade,
combine the almonds, garlic and salt. Process until smooth. Add the
melon and continue to process until smooth. Remove the bread from the
water and squeeze dry. With the machine running, add the bread in small
pieces. With the machine running, add the oil, sherry and water. Strain
into a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Reseason if
necessary. To serve, ladle into chilled serving bowls and garnish with
melon balls.

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Tara

"Michael F. Gunter" <michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com> wrote:

So is anyone doing a period dish for the traditional Thanksgiving
dinner?...So what is everyone's Thanksgiving plans?