SC - Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 24 18:01:21 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/24/99 2:57:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
> writes:
>
> << My Pumpkin Pie (former SO declared it 'To Die For') with whipped cream >>
>
> Documentation, please?
>
> To hell with documentation! Recipe, please. :-)
>
> Ras

Good thing yer so cute, Ras!

Problem with a recipe for the pie is that I do it all by feel and
handweight, etc. But, the basic frame work is...

1 big can of pumpkin (Libby's is fine). I have used fresh pumpkin, and
yes, it is far superior. But I haven't had a garden space that I could
grow vines in for years. So canned it is.

1 can evaporated milk
4 eggs
a bunch (1-1 1/2 c?) brown sugar
bout 1 tsp salt
good galump (1/4, 1/3 c?) molasses
couple tsp cinnamon
about a tsp each of ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves,
about 1/2 tsp each of pepper and orange peel

2 piecrusts (about 9")

First I beat the eggs until they are a pretty lemon-colored foam. Beat
in the pumpkin sludge, then work in the sugar and molasses and salt.
When that is mixed, add the spices. After they are thoroughly mixed,
then beat in the can of milk. Pour into your piecrusts. (If there's any
extra, put in a glass baking pan and bake alongside the pies.) Bake pies
at about 350 for about 50 mins. Center should have firmed up- but keep
an eye on your crust edges. Let them set and cool a little before
cutting them. Serve with whipped cream.

I think the secret is that I use brown sugar and molasses instead of
white sugar, and I use lots of spices instead of wimpy American amounts
(and you all know what I mean!). And because I love them and my kids
love them and a lot of affection goes into them...

Now with my luck they'll be awful this year ;-)

NOT!

'Lainie