SC - Re: Why not turkey?

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 09:17:10 PST 1999

Phillipa writes:

> Why wouldn't they have eaten turkey?  It was native.  It was there.

For what it's worth, I found a newspaper clipping from Thanksgiving, several
years ago.  This seems to be a Plimoth Plantation recreation of what might
have been served:

"First Feast

The menu for the historical recreation of the 1621 harvest feast between
English colonists and Wampanoag Indians that inspired the Thanksgiving
holiday.

Seethed Lobster
A Goose, Roasted
A Turkie, Boyled
A Fricase of Coney (rabbit)
A Pudding of Indian Corn with dried Whorleberries
A Cod, Seethed
A Brace of Ducks, Roasted
Pompion (pumpkin) Stew'd
A Haunch of Venison, Raosted
A Savory Pudding of Hominy
A Dish of Fruit and Holland Cheese
Mustard
Water
Watered Wine

Source: Plimoth Plantation"

Rudd Rayfield

OOP P. S.  Personally, we're cooking our turkey out of _American Cookery_, by
Amelia Simmons, 1796 (from a Dover facsimile, _The First American Cookbook_)
We're doing version number 3:

To stuff and roast a Turkey, or Fowl.
One pound soft wheat bread, 3ounces beef suet, 3 eggs, a little sweet thyme,
sweet marjoram, pepper and salt, and some add a gill of wine; fill the bird
therewith and sew up, hang down to a steady solid fire, basting frequently
with salt and water, and roast until a steam emits from the breast, put one
third of a pound of butter into the gravy, dust flour over the bird and baste
with the gravy; serve up with boiled onions and cranberry sauce, mangoes,
pickles or celery.

2.  Others omit the sweet herbs, and add parsley done with potatoes.

3. Boil and mash 3 pints potatoes, wet them with butter, add sweet herbs,
pepper, salt, fill and roast as above.

R. R.