SC - Food Gifts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 26 05:35:38 PST 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> To make Southern style pepper sauce, you clean the peppers, place in pretty
> bottles, pour boiling vinegar over them, cap with glass, cork, or plastic
> caps, and allow to mellow before serving.  At least 30 days, but the longer
> the better.

Now this is basic chili vinegar, right? The part you use, the sauce, is
still a clearish vinegar, but with the added taste and heat of the
chilies, as opposed to, say, Tobasco which has the peppers sort of
disintegrated into the vinegar. I gather that for many Southerners, this
is the One True barbecue sauce.

> This year I used cut glass cruets with glass stoppers found in thrift stores,
> and white wine vinegar.  I got 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 purple, and 2
> mixed batches from the first picking.  The white wine vinegar and clear glass
> make the colors stand out and sparkle for a very pretty presentation.
> The pepper sauce is served as a condiment with almost all vegetables: field
> peas and greens especially.

If you can find sherry vinegar, it's a wonderful one to use for this job.

You know, this is one of the few situations where I'm inclined to say,
"If they'd _had_ chili vinegar in the Middle Ages, they'd have put it on
black porrey and joutes." By the way, as per our discussion on surviving
medieval cuisine, Greens with Bacon or Hamhocks, big time.

>  When I was growing up, every cook had salt,
> pepper, pepper sauce, sugar, and cane syrup on the table with every meal.
> The pepper sauce and the sugar were sprinkled sparingly over vegetable
> dishes, and the cane syrup was used with pork dishes and mixed with butter as
> a topping for biscuits.

I always said you were civilized.

Adamantius
- --