SC - Random excursion in to salad recipes - oop

Ysmay at aol.com Ysmay at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 14:44:12 PST 1999

Adamantius wrote:

>many snips<
The American lime-jello-mold
dish isn't strictly pan-american: I've never eaten, or even seen, such a
dish in my life. I believe it is mostly a Southern phenomenon.   >more snips<

I'm not sure where in America it spreads, but in the part of Canada where I
grew up (Saskatchewan - great plains) this is a very popular salad and often
served at our various festivals and church "fowl suppers".  There are even
myriad variations - one with lime jello and shredded carrots being
particularly popular.

I must say, they are not favorites of mine.  I don't like the mix of sweet
with vegetables or the texture.  But I do like more savory molds - like
tomato aspic (made with lemon jello as I recall, but spicy not sweet) or a
particularly nice chicken salad mold whose recipe I lost recently :-( .  I am
actively looking and will post it for the curious once I find it (if anyone
on the list would like it).  I made this for an American Thanksgiving I was
invited to about 5 years ago and it was a big hit among my Italian and
American friends for whom it was completely alien!

Back to lurking .... I'm learning so much!

Ysmay de Chaldon
mka Tammy McJannet