SC - tripe and pig trotters

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Sun Nov 28 15:18:50 PST 1999

Ana wrote:
<<< Both pig trotters and tripe are really widespread in the kitchens of
Italy, Spain, France and Germany during the Middle Age. -- In France, in
Paris, in the wellknown restaurant "Au pied du cochon", serves pig
trotters in different ways. They claim their recipes are from 1300.
(...) -- I am sure Thomas have a lot of tripe and pig trotters recipes
from the south of Germany. >>>

There is one recipe for pig trotters in the porc-section of the
'Enseignements' (around 1300):
"Les quatre piez e les orilles e le groing en souz de parresil e
d'espices, destrempé de vin aigre." (ed. Lozinski 1933, page 181 line
22-23).
Could be something like: 'The four pig trotters, the ears and the mouth,
over it parsley and spices tempered [moderated] with vinegar'.

Well, I do not really have "a lot" of tripe and pig trotters recipes,
but there are some, e.g. in Doris Aichholzer's new edition of three
southern German recipe collections (15th century). -- There are much
more recipes for other kinds of intestines (or is "tripe" a general term
for 'intestines'?).

The 'Menagier' mentions "tripes" several times, together with the
"tripperie" (the shops of tripes or more general of intestines) and the
"tripier", the merchand of tripes (you can search for these expressions
in the electronic Menagier, that Cindy Renfrow put on the web.)

The 15th century cookbook/dietetic of Meister Eberhard says about pig
trotters: "Vnd das pest an dem swein das sein die fuß, das maul, die
oren vnd der zagel" ('and the best of the pig are the trotters, the
mouth, the ears and its tail'; this is the text I put on the web
recently).

It seems to me that these dishes were eaten, but not very often
documented in cookbooks. They are also mentioned in other sources, e.g.
in a German chronicle (16th century), where two of the guests were
throwing tripes after each other. Thus it seems, that eating tripe is
not worth mentioning, but throwing tripes clearly is.

Cheers,
Thomas