SC - grits (only slightly OOP)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 28 19:16:23 PST 1999

We have had some previous discussion on this list about grits. In
reading a recent issue of "Smithsonian" (October 1999), I notice they
have an article on grits, "True Grits" p81.

I thought some of their commentary on the history of grits might be of
interest here.

"It can be argued that grits were America's first food. The Powhatan
Indians of Tidewater Virginia introduced the earliest Virginia settlers
to a hot and filling porridge made from cracked grains of maize. Capt.
John Smith wrote about grits as early as 1629 in his notes about the
behavior of the Virginia settlers: "Their servants commonly feed upon
Milke Homini, which is bruised Indian corne pounded, and boiled thicke,
and milke for the sauce." The Indians called it ustatahamen, perhaps the
source of today's term "hominy". "Grits" derives from the Old English
word for the bran and chaff of any kind of grain - not just corn."

Stefan
Who must be more of a Texan than a Southerner since he doesn't like grits.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net