SC - Growing quinces

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 28 19:57:38 PST 1999

ON 28 Nov 1999 16:04:47 EST Ras wrote:

>with the back pay I am buying an acre or 2 of land specifically with the
idea
>of using it for gardening only eliminating any need to go through the silly
>perk tests and other restrictive processes needed for purchasing land. One
of
>the first plants to be planted will be quince

May I suggest another plant for your consideration?  A noble and ancient
tree, the Cornelian Cherry (cornus mas) deserves to be planted as it has
culinary use both as a sweet ripe fruit and as an alternate for olives when
picked
green.   Their spectacular yellow flowering has made them a popular
landscape
plant in the past decade.  Since it takes 6 to 12 years for reliable fruit
production, I wonder how many who planted it for landscaping yet realize
they
also planted a fruit tree?

Akim