SC - Wanted: opinions on these 2 cookbooks

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 29 22:35:10 PST 1999

Greetings,

I just saw these two books on a email sent to me by Jessica's Biscuit.
Does anyone have any opinions about either of these? I particularly
wonder what the second one is using as it's evidence, since we have
talked before about peasant cooking often not being written down.

Another notable new title just given a wonderful review on National Public Radio...
A Mediterranean Feast
by Clifford A. Wright

The story of the Birth of the Celebrated Cuisines of the Mediterranean,
from the Merchants of Venice to the Barbary Corsairs, with more than 500
recipes. Full of history and culinary facts, this is a must for the person
who loves food history.
R105            $24.50

The Old World Kitchen
by Elisabeth Luard

The rich tradition of peasant cooking is back. We were thrilled to find
this back in print. One of our most requested books, is now available,
thanks to the people at the Common Reader Catalog. This book was selected
in a recent New York Times article by Mark Bittman as one of his all time
favorites.
R139            $17.46
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net