SC - Christmas Pudding+troublesome monks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Nov 30 11:02:47 PST 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> elaina wrote:
> >> how Abelard got into trouble. ;-)
> >and we know what happened to him...
>
> Well, come to think of it, the most infamous thing that happened to him was
> a different occasion from the one I meant. But then there was also the time
> that (to get back on topic) his monks tried to poison him, for still other
> reasons. He got into trouble quite often, didn't he?

Were you referring to his persecution by Bernard of Clairvaux? (Can you
guess whose side I'm on?) Watch what you say about Peter Abelard- he's
one of my heroes. And I have a alternate persona that I wear when I'm
teaching (or just generally raising trouble) who is a Dominican Canon
Lawyer c. 1300 or so, named Father Abelard the Lesser. Don't think about
it too hard- it hurts.

Did you know there is (yet again) debate going as to the authorship of
the famed _Letters_? Suggestions that they were written by Abelard's
supporters, after he was dead. I don't know if I would buy it, but the
idea is interesting to kick around the backyard when there's nuthin'
else to do.

Think first- then decide what you believe. Abelard in a nutshell.

'Lainie