OT Re: SC - seasonal hazards...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 1 08:27:07 PST 1999

Liam Fisher wrote:

> >Of course, we were probably in a relative safe haven ourselves; >there's
> >talk in some other parts of the country of banning the Harry >Potter books,
> >because (get this!) they promote witchcraft, Satanism, >and disrespect for
> >authority figures -- the biggest threat to Western
> >civilization since Pokemon...;  )
>
> *feels the minds narrowing* Yeah, that'd be a very bad thing.  One of the
> things that makes this country cool is that we can do things like diss
> authority and not go to jail.  But I guess, inspiring imagination and
> thought in kids is too much to ask for in today's society.  I mean, if you
> inspire their imagination, what next?  Free thought?

I _hate_ when that happens. Yeah, it's horrendous when you portray
previously helpless children learning to act in and manipulate their
environment in a positive way, fighting evil and preserving life in the
bargain, when you portray wizardry in a [purely non-religious] way that
doesn't equate it with cartoon Satanism, and when you suggest that
school, for all its definite social hazards, can still be a fun,
nurturing, and valuable experience. Thomas Jefferson would have hated
them, too, because they portrtay disrespect for those authority figures
that deserve no respect beyond lip-service, and the greatest genuine
respect for those that actually deserve it. That really stinks, doesn't
it? These books should be banned and burned.

And it is my further considered opinion that Carthage should be
destroyed... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy