SC - CookCon

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Nov 2 18:26:54 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> But that's okay, I plan to harrass and otherwise invade Lord Kael's
> kitchen this weekend: we're doing my proposed Revised,
> Granola-Crunching, Tree-Hugging, Non-Competitive A&S Event this weekend.
> I'm kidding, somewhat. I'm actually quite taken with the idea; we seem
> to have a _lot_ of participating artisans who I've never seen in the
> usual more competitive pentathlon-type settings. This may be something
> that's been needed for years in this stuffy ol' kingdom of ours. If
> nothing else it's good to see _all_ of the A&S community's needs served
> for a change. I'm psyched! I don't suppose anybody on this list is
> going? It's in the Canton of Marwick, in the Barony of Settmour Swamp.

*SIGH* Wish I was, Master A. I fall in the 'other' category- I don't do
contests or competitions (except for SLUG Queen but that's different)
for a variety or reasons- and I've found that even at the supposed
'non-comp' things like a Laurel's Tourney there's that subtle
undercurrent... How many kudos did _you_ get? Beads? ribbons? etc....
Yup- I'm currently suffering with some really Badass Bad Attitude
Monsters. Grump grump.

You know what I'd like to do though? Someday, sponsor a camping area at
a tourney- kinda like Enchanted Ground but a little different. Something
where the idea is to get out, display, and use your best stuff. Show
off. Hey, you know, I have been known to grab people off the road to
show them my new bed/feed them a tartlette/show off my writing desk. Can
you imagine an encampment where you could wander through, visit friends,
get to see their winter projects, and have the scene _look_ medieval?
Geez- almost like I thought the SCA was about when I first got in?
(Oops- the Monsters are showing again...)

Your Kingdom is not stuffy, Master A. It just takes itself a little too
seriously sometimes. But too many of us run to the other extreme I
think. (Though I shouldn't talk- last two events I went in a sarong, the
'dingle-ball bra', with a pile of fruit on my head. Had fun cracking up
TRM's and hassling the Baron 3M with a turnip, a parsnip, and an
obscenely-shaped rutabega. It was great fun.)

Have a good time and be sure to tell us all about it! And not just what
Kael's kitchen looks like!

'Lainie