SC - Source for Lord's Salt?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Nov 10 15:46:36 PST 1999

Adamantius wrote:

>You'll have heard this spoken of under the generic name Harpestraeng,
>author and/or early owner/copyist of an early 13th-century cookery
>manuscript.

Actually, I believe it is generally thought that Henrik Harpestræng had
nothing to do with the cookbook as such but as the Icelandic and at least
one of the Danish versions have been copied as an appendix to his herbals,
they are often called by that name. The name of the copyist of the oldest
manuscript is known, however; he was Knud Jul, a monk at Sorø Monastery in
Denmark. He may have translated the manuscript into Danish, probably from
Low German, or he may have been copying a translation by another. This was
around or just before the year 1300, but the original is thought to have
been written in the South of France (Provence? in the early 13th century).
There is another Danish version, rather different, written in the 14th
century.

Examples occur in Denmark and Germany, and, later, IIRC, in
>Iceland (15th century?).

Probably from the last quarter of the 15th century, and very similar to the
older Danish manuscript, though it has one additional recipe, for making
vinegar.

See Cariadoc's collection of medieval cookery
>sources under "An Old Icelandic Medical Miscellany", Rudolf Grewe's "An
>Early XIIIth-Century Northern-European Cookbook", published by the
>Culinary Historians of Boston, and various other sources.

I´m quoting and translating from: Harpestræng. Gamle danske urtebøger,
stenbøger og kogebøger, by Marius Kristensen (Copenhagen 1908-20) and An Old
Icelandic Medical Miscellany by Henning Larsen (Oslo 1931), also: Til taffel
hos kong Valdemar by Hans Veirup, Copenhagen 1994, and Middelaldermad by Bi
Skaarup and Henrik Jacobsen, Copenhagen 1999.

Nanna