SC - Blown eggs, was Chocolate - Yes I know its not period!

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Nov 11 06:51:01 PST 1999

> All of these ideas are good ones but could someone correct my memory here.
> Was not the intention of the original post regarding this subject to provide
> a sort of subtlety that would appear for all intent and purposes like a
> normal egg with the recipients being able to crack and remove the real shell
> to be astounded with contents that they little expected?
I did this about six years ago.
I made faux eggshells with very thinly rolled white fondant, air dried in halves of
a chocolate egg mold.
(Note: When the inside surface is dried to touch, gently fill the shell with tissue or
cotton, put a cardboard over the mold, invert to remove form the mold, and allow
the outside to dry completely before continuing. This takes a day or two, more in
spring/summer, and it never dries in humid weather, so you need to have a
dehumidifier or airconditioner in the Kitchen... do NOT put these eggs in the fridge!)
I glued the halves together with thick Royal Icing after putting in Hersheys Kisses
for luck.
I have also used Gum paste for work like this.
I was also able to judiciously paint these eggs, using a brush dipped into paste
colors, and a very light touch (you should avoid rehydrating the shell).
I put these in a pulled sugar Easter Basket, decorated with gum paste tulips,
lilies, and daffodils, and hand spun Green sugar "grass" as an edible
centerpiece for an Easter dinner.

brandu