SC - Lord's Salt experiment. upcoming trial with venison

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Thu Nov 11 07:06:33 PST 1999

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:
> I am going to try out this recipe this weekend. I have some basic questions
> before I start out.
>
> 1.Strong vinegar- someone posted that you need to use 7% versus the ordinary
> 5% acid level, where could I obtain such a vinegar, or is there a name for it
> that would be universal

After getting a mild scolding about using 5% :), rather than trying a
specialty food market, where they had such things but they were deadly
expensive, I just went to the supermarket, and sure enough they had
some vinegars which were about the same price but more acidic.  They
didn't seem to have a separate name.

> 5. Is there a test that I can perform to determine the level of bacteria
> before eating it?

Feed it to annoying co-workers?  O:-)  (well, that may be specific to my
situation)

> Is there something that I can obtain to scientifically
> demonstrate that it is safe before I condemn my fellow cooks to a day of
> vomiting and other nasties, if that is the least of the problems to result
> from bad food. I just want to be very careful in what I serve to others, so
> please forgive the anal retentiveness on this.

If it's of any help as a statistical point, my 5% stuff was fed to a whole
bunch of people (including myself) at a vigil in February, and there were
no ill effects as far as I know.  So if you're using the stronger vinegar,
logically you should be fine.

Vika
is there anything worse than having to share a cube with someone who
annoys you desperately?