Millet (was Re: SC - Couple of OOP questions)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Nov 13 22:22:18 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 14 Nov 99,, that DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

> Hummmmm, despite being
> thoroughly period, I don't recall offhand any recipes for millet.........
> Obviously, it was more of a peasant food than a noble one, but can anyone
> else think of a recipe or two containing it, or at least some mention of
> it's uses?

It is mentioned in Platina as being used in porridge and bread.
Taillevent recommends washing it, cooking it in cow's milk, and later
editions suggest adding saffron.  According to _Food and Drink in
Medieval Poland_, millet was one of the staple of pre-potato Polish
cuisine.  There is a recipe in Granado for a sort of millet-cheese polenta,
which is then sliced and fried.  I'll post the recipe later.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann