SC - New to the list with questions

Jo Marie Friedel jazzi at alltel.net
Sun Nov 14 10:59:00 PST 1999

Greetings Good Gentles,
    I am Tygre Marie from the Shire of Stormsport(Erie, PA).  Fairly new
to the SCA(about a year) but no stranger to the kitchen(dad's a chef).
I have prepared 1 feast in the Shire but it was only quasi medieval as
kitchen facilities were limited and it was an outdoor event.  It was
served buffet style (and I was cooking for vegetarian Royalty).
    My next venture is in Feb. and I want to do it right.... to that end
I've joined this list and have undertaken study of 14th C. French
sources.  I now own a copy of  "The Medieval Kitchen" (which I am
devouring rapidly) and have a copy of  "French Food In The Renaissance:
14-17th C" from the Compleat Anachronist#102.

    My questions to you more experienced good people are these....

Are there any 14th C French recipes for shellfish (in particular,
mussels and shrip/prawns)?  I see lots for fish and eels but have yet to
run across any for shellfish.

Does anyone have a recipe for a medieval onion soup? ( I have lots for
modern versions but no medieval ones).

    The theme of this particular feast being 14th C French , including
any influences by neighboring countries (Germanic, Mediterranean) if
any.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

   Yours in peace(and the kitchen),
                        Tygre Marie