SC - Grapes and needing help

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 12:09:40 PST 1999

If I recall correctly, there are some gentles on this list that also
subscribe to the brewers and vinters list. I need some information regarding
the pressing of unripe grapes and was hoping one of those gentles would post
these questions to the other list. I have done several searches on the net,
but I'm getting non specific info.

These are my questions;

Assuming we are talking about the genus "vitis vinifera" (to my knowledge,
which is scant, this is a sort of "mother of grapes" and can be documented at
least a few thousand years ago, but more importantly, as far back as the
Roman Empire).

1.What properties (taste) would result from pressing these grapes at or about
the time they reach the size of a chick pea (approx. a third of an inch in
diameter)?

2 Can a sweet product be derived from unripe grapes- say those harvested
before mid July (or and I quote- when still covered in the first bloom),
barring any drying of the grape beforehand and on the first press.?

If said product from either of  these processes is condensed (as in boiled
down to a third its original volume) would it become sweet or sweeter than
its predecessor?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated and can be posted to me
directly if that is more convenient for the brewers/vinters list.

channonm at aol.com
Hauviette d'Anjou