SC - vinegar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 14 18:30:26 PST 1999

Hauviette said:
> I had this thought after I posted: Was period vinegar already at 5% or did it
> start out at a lower acidity than the commercial stuff we use today? I
> imagine there is some stuff about this in Stefan's flori-thingy, and I should
> just look it up, but it seems to me there was a discussion about this on the
> Apicius list and we came to a group conclusion that the %'s were probably
> lower than today.

Without looking through my file, I don't remember putting any such discussion
in my vinegar-msg file. I am not on this Apicius list. If someone had sent me
this thread and if there were some reasonable suppositions and conclusions
made I would probably have added it to the vinegar-msg file. In other words,
I make no promises before I see such threads, but I would certainly consider
such things for my files. I can cover only a few lists personally.

I expect though that the strength of vinegar differed throughout the Middle
Ages depending upon it's source, region and time just as it does today.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net