SC - Re: Payn Pur-Dew

Stephanie Dale Ross aislinncc at mailcity.com
Tue Nov 16 08:55:49 PST 1999

I happen to have a recipe for Payn Pur-dew, gleaned from one of my very first events where I helped out in the kitchen, say uh, 17 years ago? I pasted it onto a 3x5 card all those years ago, but have never made it. Unfortunately, no sources are mentioned :(.
Aislinn Columba of Carlisle

Payn Pur-Dew

The name means either God's bread or lost bread: this is the medieval version of modern french toast.

7 fresh eggs, separated
4 tbsp heavy cream or milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
12 slices whole wheat, rye or pumpernickle bread,cut into four triangles or squares each
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1/4 lb butter for sauteeing the slices in a heavy frying pan or skillet

1. Slowly heat the butter in the heavy frying pan or skillet, being careful not to let it burn.
2. With a fork or rotary beater, beat the egg yolks with the cream or milk. Add the egg whites. Beat again.
3. Stir in the salt, cinnamon, cumin
4. Dip the bread pieces in the spiced egg until they are completely coated and remove with a spatula
5. Saute the bread on both sides in the melted butter until golden brown.
6. Remove them to a rack or the serving platter and sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Serve warm

The sugar originally called for in the recipe is brown, but I changed it to powdered since we had the discussion recently about what forms of sugar are period. Wish I had the source for this recipe, but except for the sugar change, I reproduced it exactly as I had it, so that someone out there might read it and remember where it originally came from.
- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel