SC - Indian Grain-found in the Medici Archives

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 15:27:32 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/16/99 1:03:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wandapease at bigfoot.com writes:

<< does Indian
 grain (grani d' India) mean corn as in maize, or is it some other grain?

 Regina >>

IMO, yes. Many new world foods were introduced to the rest of Europe through
Italy including tomatoes, possibly capsicums, and a myriad of 'squash' types.
I conjecture that this is directly attributable to Venice being the
commercial center of the known world at that time. Alas, I have no real proof
of my theory and am hoping that various archives and letters from that period
will finally find themselves published in English or any form so my theory
can be proved or disproved.

Ras