SC - Indian Grain-found in the Medici Archives

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Nov 16 20:42:08 PST 1999

1. I find the pre-columbian stories on the introduction of New World
foods implausible, because we know that post-columbus they spread
very fast. Maize and potatoes and capsicum peppers were all useful
crops for particular purposes. So you have to explain how they could
sit in Asia or wherever for hundreds of years without spreading to
Europe, and then suddenly spread all over Europe after Columbus.

2. I have seen a different explanation for Indian corn, I think in
Finan, John J., _Maize in the Great Herbals_. Apparently Pliny
describes something he calls Indian corn, presumably because it came
from India. When maize was introduced to Europe, some herbalists,
engaged in the project of matching the plants they new with the
classical descriptions, misidentified it with Indian corn, hence the
name.
David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/