SC - Early Period A&S Entries

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 05:08:10 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/16/99 11:01:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
acrouss at gte.net writes:

<<
 This may help...Apicius, while done around the 4th century, was reprinted
 over and over during the period considered appropriate for the SCA. Also,
 someone told me once that during the Italian Renn, they'd dress up in togas
 and do "re-enactment" feasts :).

 If it was reprinted over and over, someone must have been reading it, no? I
 think people are thinkin' "Ancient ROme? that's not medieval!" forgetting
 that "roman" covers a huge spread of time and area.

Yes that is a significant part of my arguement for it. The premise being they
sure wouldn't have wasted precious parchemnt on something inconsequential
with no demand. Actually, Charlemagne was a huge proponent of all things
Roman and set up scriptoriums at the palace in like the 9th Century (I
believe), we have no extant copy from that early era however (would be nice
because I'm trying to develop a filled in timeline) .  I want to cover all
bases if I can and I wanted to go beyond the "well it was copied in 14-- and
14-- and then printed in 15-- etc". Someone once gave me good advice- Answer
the questions that may be asked of you ahead of time, know the arguement of
your opponent where necessary. -His Highness, Duke  Sir Dag

Hauviette