SC - Recipes with Beer and Ale?

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Nov 18 21:44:33 PST 1999

There are several of these in _Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book_. One is
"court sops" (p. 62), made with slices of toast and a mixture of ale, sugar,
and nutmeg. The toast is put in the liquid, and then it is cooked until dry.
(I suppose that means until the cooking vessel is dry, not the toast.)
Sprinkle with more sugar and nutmeg and let cool before serving. Looks
almost like French toast. :-)

Other recipes with ale include: fritters and pancakes (p. 74), a hot posset
(p. 88), poached carp or trout (p. 110), and a big currant cake (p. 137). I
recommend the cake, though it could do with a little salt in the dough
(perhaps just omitted by accident), and will have to be scaled down for most
ovens (for a modern oven, try using a large pizza pan). I haven't yet tried
the others.

There are also ale-batter fritters in earlier English sources (perhaps Forme
of Curye?).

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon