SC - French toast?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 19 05:18:55 PST 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> Geograpy and climate do change, but the kind of climate change you are
> talking about would take longer than a mere thousand years.

Not overnight, surely, but enough to make a region with some parts that
are borderline tropical into distinctly wintry temperate, very
definitely. Again, not overnight. In less than  a thousand years, very
definitely. Less than a century or two, in fact. Witness the grapes, and
later the saffron, grown in Britain in period.

> As for the Seminoles, they held most of South Georgia, and North and Central
> Florida, in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, IIRC.
> However, you may be correct in thinking that "Florida" referred to a much
> larger region than the modern state.  The Spanish used the name to mean the
> entire continent as well as the Carribean Basin.

I'm speculating on this because I'm trying to think of circumstances
whereby maple sugar could be produced in "Florida" near the end of our
period. For the statement to be true, we might need to rethink our
concept of "Florida" in period. Thinking in terms that say Florida in
period included places like West Virginia, which today produces some
maple sugar, might explain this phenomenon. I'm not saying that that's
how it was, I'm saying that's how it may, conceivably, have been, and
that if it was, it would help explain the claim. This applies also to
the comments on climate above. If a statement is not consistent with the
conditions for which the statement applies, we either need to rethink
the statement (and what would be the fun of that???) or reconsider the conditions.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com