SC - Random excursion in to salad recipes - oop

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Nov 26 12:13:16 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> The American lime-jello-mold
> dish isn't strictly pan-american: I've never eaten, or even seen, such a
> dish in my life. I believe it is mostly a Southern phenomenon.

I grew up in Western Washington, and Dad's Aunt Elizabeth always made
jello salad (holiday or no holiday) especially because one of my
brothers (who is now a philosophy professor and would likely deny
involvement with any such food) loved the stuff. Lime jello, cottage
cheese, celery, pineapple, and walnuts. My friend Jeannie said her
family added cherries. I've never been crazy for cottage cheese in
jello. But yesterday I made our traditional jello salad- lemon jello,
shredded carrots, crushed pineapple, and mandarin oranges. Since I
almost never make jello, it is a bit of a treat.

Boy, do my feet hurt today!

'Lainie