SC - high grain all-natural vinegar?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 27 04:59:31 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Ras quoted the Tabasco web site as saying:
> > TABASCO brand pepper sauce is made with three simple ingredients: fully aged
> > red pepper, high grain all-natural vinegar, and a small amount of salt mined
> > right on Avery Island. It's pure pepper sauceâ*”no additives whatsoever.
>
> We've discussed various vinegars here before, but I'm not sure what this
> "high grain all natural vinegar" is. It's not a wine-based vinegar. Or
> apple cider vinegar. Is this a malt vinegar? Or perhaps something from
> a beer base? Is this something special? or something else just prettied up
> by the Tabasco company marketing department?

My money's on "high grade all-natural vinegar".

Adamantius... who just went and checked the McIlhenny website at
www.tabasco.com, only to discover that Mordonna was right in part, that
part of the kick of Tabasco seems to be based on lactic fermentation,
since the peppers are mashed, salted and aged (like garum!) for three
years or so in oak kegs, _then_ thinned down with said high-grain
vinegar. Whatever that is...I'd assumed it was Lord Ras And His
Spell-Checker again, but that's really what it says. Sorry! Might still
be a typo, of course.

Hmmm. How would vodka be, aged in one of those pepper barrels?
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com