SC - "Fooles and Friccasees" exhibit at the Folger

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Wed Nov 3 06:58:43 PST 1999

Ras:
>> ...the square wooden trencher with the depressed eating surface and
>> small salt depression in the corner. That item was really cool but,
>> unfortunately none of the woodworkers in the SCA seem to have a
>> clue as to how to make these relatively simple objects since I have
>> never seen any merchants in the SCA carry them.

Bernadette:
> I was thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to make such a
> trencher if one had a router tool...

They aren't.  Me and mine did just that for serving trenchers at our
recent event.  With a pawn-shop router (Craftsman, mind you) we
rounded off the edges and dug a 'juice groove/grease ring/sauce
trough' around the perimeter of each plank.  Router bits are a tad on
the high side (~$20 a pop).  We sanded them thoroughly and rubbed them
with mineral oil.  Original plan was to just toss them on the fire
after feast, but we couldn't bring ourselves to burn them.

Now, with period tools, time & effort and therefore price will
escalate, I would think.

Now that the topic has arisen, what sealant is best from a food-safety
standpoint, what's acceptable, and what's just dangerous?
Iyad ibn Bisharo, Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN
jallen at multipro.com