SC - Liber Cure Cocorum: I.L.L. Follies of 1999 (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 3 18:30:28 PST 1999

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> Is the version below a useful one?  YOu said 150 year old version of 550 yr
> old material, so it isn't the same one, unless you were being not specific
> in your math. And is it really that hard a thing to locate, I mean, I can
> get hold of 2 within 15 miles of each other, and a related book, though
> neither of these were in that list that whoever posted that mentioned
> Cornell, etc.

Oh, there are copies out there. (1_3_0 years old, roughly.) It's just
that some of them are effectively phantoms, like the one at Columbia
University, which for practical purposes is part of some grad student's
or professor's personal library. Others are so delicate as to make them
effectively useless (the one I got from Cornell was kinda borderline,
and I gather Mistress Alys K's copy is about the same). The point,
though, was that there aren't all that many copies that are usable for
people like us doing culinary research. We aren't just looking for
examples of how the poetry scans, or conjecture on the exact focal point
of the dialect; we want the whole thing, and may conceivably want to
cook from it. In short, if we can't physically turn the pages without
destroying it, it's nearly useless, and there doesn't seem to be
anything with this material published more recently then the mid-to-late
19th century. My intention was to save it from museum-piece oblivion and
make it available for somewhat more casual research. (My best scratchy
Harvey Feierstein voice) "Is that so wraaaaaaawwwwnngggggg?????" ;  )

BTW, I'll be picking up my second (and final) set of copies tomorrow; I
hope this material will be webbed fairly soon.

> As for the other books you are looking for, the I found the following at
> DUKE library,
>
> BOKE OF NURTURE
>      The boke of nurture folowyng Englondis gise. (1 title)
>      [The boke of nurture for men, seruauntes, and chyldren] (1 title)
>      The boke of nurture, or, Schoole of good maners for men, seruants, and
> children : with Stans puer ad mensam. (1 title)
>      The boke of nurture, or Schoole of good maners: for men, servants, and
> children, with Stans puer ad mensam.
>      Newly corrected, very necessary for all youth and children. (1 title)

As I say, I believe this is available from the EETS, in a facsimile
reprint of their earlier edition. I seem to recall seeing it available
from WH Smith's online catalogue. I'll get around to this eventually,
but I'm quite confident that this material is available somewhere. For
practical purposes, if it comes down to I.L.L., the library will do most
of the work anyway.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy