SC - Eel?

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Wed Nov 3 23:28:14 PST 1999

Here are the eel recipes that I have in my collection. I have not had or
made either of them.
Enjoy.

	Eel in Aspic (Kholodets' z vuhra)
	From "Festive Ukrainian Cooking" by Marta Pisetska Farley. Posted
by Lady Beatrix / Michael P Newton (melc2newton at juno.com)
	3 lbs. fresh eel, eviscerated
	3 fish heads and trimmings
	2 carrots
	3 medium onions
	1 bay leaf
	4 peppercorns
	2 Tbs.. sugar
	1 envelope gelatin
	juice of one lemon
	2-3 tsp. salt
	1 tsp. white pepper or to taste
	parsley and lemon wedges
	Rinse eel in running cold water. Make an incision at the base of
the head, pry up the skin around the head with a sharp knife, grab
loosened skin and, with a gentle but firm tug, skin the fish.(Just like
turning a glove inside out.) Rub with 1 tsp. salt and cut into 2 inch
portions. In a large kettle, cover skin, heads, trimmings, carrots,
onions, bay leaf, peppercorns, and sugar with cold water and bring to a
boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Pour liquid into a pan;
reserve carrots for garnish. Poach eel in 2 cups broth until flesh is
white and just cooked through. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate and
cover. Combine liquids and strain through a fine sieve. If there is more
than 3 cups, reduce by simmering. Heat 1 cup of liquid to boiling,
dissolve gelatin, and add to broth. Season to taste (seasoning should be
pronounced, since cold temperature masks flavors). Add lemon juice. Pour
1 inch gelatin mixture in a glass or enamel platter and chill. When set,
arrange eel and cooked carrots and cover with remaining broth.
Refrigerate overnight or until aspic is set. Serve in portions garnished
with lemon and parsley.
	Eel in Herb Sauce "Conger in Sauce" - England, 1378
	The Forme of Cury, 1378 Updated and compiled in Seven Centuries
of English Cooking by Maxime de la Falaise. Grove Press, 1992 Posted by
Jeff Pruett.
	"Take the conger & scald him and cut him in pieces & seeth him;
take parsley, mint, pelletour, rosemary & a little sage, bread & salt,
powder fort & a little garlic, & a few cloves, take & grind it well, draw
it up with vinegar thro' a cloth, cast the fish in a vessel and make it
boil on & serve it forth."
	1 Eel, skinned
	2 1/2 c Fish stock
	4 TB Parsley
	2 TB Mint
	1 tsp. Rosemary
	1/2 tsp. Sage
	2 cl Garlic, crushed
	1/2 c Breadcrumbs
	1/2 tsp. Salt
	Powderfort (2 tbs. chives-chopped with 1/2 tsp.-powdered mace)
	4 Cloves, crushed
	4 TB Vinegar
	Skin the eel, cut it into slices and simmer in the fish stock,
using the skin for flavor, until tender. Chop together the fresh parsley,
mint, rosemary, and sage. Put in a blender with the crushed garlic, the
breadcrumbs, salt, powderfort, and crushed cloves. Add a little vinegar
and blend well. Rub through a sieve, using a little more vinegar to wash
the mixture through. Arrange the eel slices in a fireproof dish, pour the
sauce over them, and reheat, spooning the sauce over the fish from time
to time so that it can absorb the flavor. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and
serve.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com