SC - Blown eggs, was Chocolate - Yes I know its not period!

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Fri Nov 5 08:43:04 PST 1999

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> you can always make egg subtlties...
> carefully blow out a bunch of eggs. Fill with choclate, and paint the hole
> with white chocolate to hide it. Leave one full of raw egg :).
> suprise!

> --AM, who understands that the culinary guild did this one year before her
> time...

>snip

Mmmm, this idea actually could be used well, because I'm going to do a sweet
bread sculpture of a pelican in its piety (at least I am going to attempt one
several times to see if it might possibly have some sort of resemblance to said
pelican since I am not a very good sculptor).  The pelican is going to be sitting
on a candy nest (I know I can do this one) and I was going to make marzipan baby
pelicans (what is a baby pelican called?).

As the dish is going to be made for each table (or at least that is the plan at
the moment), I could also include some of the chocolate eggs. I don't suppose you
could ask your guild how they filed the eggs with chocolate.  I was thinking of
using white chocolate & a big syringe and basically after blowing the eggs, I
would then inject the chocolate into the egg (less messiest solution I can think
of).  I was also pondering giving it a try of melting some of the yellow caramel
bud chocolate as a type of yolk & doing some experiments on trying to get a
yellow "yolk" in the middle of the "egg" white.

I am interested in how your guild filled the chocolate eggs in case they had an
easier solution?

Also, general question, whilst I have used blown eggs for decoration, I have
never filled them back up again with anything.  What hygienic solutions would one
offer to sterilising the egg shell before adding chocolate (eg. soak in boiling
water?).  Any estimates on how long such a confection would keep and how would
others keep it.  Basically, if I do the above, I would probably have to do about
150 of them.

I would also like to use the actual eggs for cooking in other dishes (quiches
etc) 'cause it would be a shame to waste 150 eggs.  Whilst I am happy to use
"blown" eggs in cooking for my family, I am a lot less happy about using them for
a feast, given my usual technique of "blowing" eggs is to make holes bottom & top
& then blow contents of egg out thru bottom hole.  This is not really very
hygienic (likely to have contents of my saliva in it) and whilst I don't have
anything catching, I know that if I was a feaster, I wouldn't be happy about
eating the resultant egg products.  So, has anyone else successfully "blown" eggs
in any other more hygienic manner (eg, drawn egg up thru hole in a syringe?)

Thanks,

Lorix