SC - Blown eggs, Long!

Debra Poole dpoole1 at airmail.net
Fri Nov 5 23:16:57 PST 1999

At 03:43 AM 11/6/1999 +1100, you wrote:

<Major snip>

> I am a lot less happy about using them for a feast, given my usual
technique >of "blowing" eggs is to make holes bottom & top & then blow
contents of egg out >thru bottom hole.  This is not really very hygienic
(likely to have contents of >my saliva in it) and whilst I don't have
anything catching, I know that if I >was a feaster, I wouldn't be happy
about eating the resultant egg products.  >So, has anyone else successfully
"blown" eggs in any other more hygienic manner >(eg, drawn egg up thru hole
in a syringe?)

I practice an art form called Pysanky and it uses blown eggs as a finished
product.  Because you blow the egg after it is dyed it can have a very
dissagreeable taste, so I have experimented with multiple ways to blow eggs.
The best way I have found so far is to use a special tool called a blas- fix
that I got for around five dollars.  (I got mine from the ukrainian gift
shop 612-788-2545.  I have only ordered from them once so I don't much about
them but their catalog is free)   It uses a small had held tool to insert
air into the egg through a long attached needle.  It is also useful for
breaking the yolk.  Most of the time if an egg shell is going to break
during the emptying process it will be as the yolk comes out.  The only
other way that has really worked for me is to insert a "bendy" straw with
the short end in the egg and blow through the long end.  This does not
address the issue of contaimation.

Depending on your budget you can purchase pre-blown egg shell also.  They
are a great time saver but not cheap.  Each egg shell is about 50-75 cents
depending on where you get them.

Also you might want to consider Mock Eggs.  It is a peroid receipe that uses
thick Almond cream to simulate a hard boiled egg.  They are a really big hit
when ever I take them to an event. A thread about them was on not to long
ago and if you are intrested I may still have the info about it.  If not I
know it is in Take a Thousand Eggs or More Vol. 2.  Email me privately and I
will get you the receipe.

Hope this helps,
Mere
Barony of the Steppes