SC - Blown eggs, was Chocolate - Yes I know its not period!

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sat Nov 6 01:01:31 PST 1999

A dimly half-remembered idea from a period cookbook:

Mostly fill blown eggs with starch-thickened almond milk. Then put a "yolk"
in the middle made from some thicker almond product with saffron. I think
these were roasted after being assembled. Now if you substitute melted
chocolate from a syringe (or a narrow-tipped bulb baster?) for the yolk,
you'll have a fancy and period way to serve very modern chocolate. A soft
chocolate would probably be best for this purpose - perhaps melted with a
little thick almond milk or hazelnut milk. Or Nutella? :-)

BTW, I wouldn't recommend trying for a yellow yolk - you'd lose too much
chocolate flavor before you got there. All chocolate is brown.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon