SC - survival/ camp cooking

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Nov 9 17:37:49 PST 1999

At 6:03 PM -0800 11/9/99, Stephanie Dale Ross wrote:

>Pickled: eggs, beets, cucumbers and relish, Lord's salt beef,
>onions, cheese in oil, mushrooms
>
>grains: pasta, instant rice, instant oatmeal, steel cut oats
>(oatcakes), flours (flatbread), Bisquick, corn meal
>(tortillas),Hummus mix, falafel mix, small packages of yeast,
>crackers
>
>Liquids: canned milk, aseptically packaged milk, Juicy Juice, canned broth

Sekanjabin syrup keeps more or less forever.

>condiments: small jars of mayo, minced garlic in oil, dried minced
>garlic and onion, olive and corn oil, peanut butter and jelly, nuts
>and dried fruit, boillion cubes, mustards
>
>canned: veggies, fruit, meat, mushrooms and olives, spaghetti and
>tomato sauce, canned beans

You are leaving out dried beans--lentils, favas and chickpeas if you
are being period, lots of others if you are not.

You also didn't include dried meat and fish.

So far as the Y2K application, and leaving aside my scepticism about
the problem arising, if you are really planning for a possible
catastrophe, you probably want to be more basic. You can buy a lot of
dried milk, peanut butter and beans for what you would spend for
tomato sauce, olives, mustards, etc.

Taking it back to Pennsic without a cooler, on the other hand, ... .
Lentils are very convenient. Olive oil or sesame oil keeps fine. Oat
cakes from (real, not rolled) oat meal are easy to make and tasty.
Clarified butter keeps, and with that and flour you can make pan
bread. Pasta. ...

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/