SC - A different kind of historical recreation

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Nov 9 17:31:59 PST 1999

At 6:51 PM -0500 11/9/99, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

>A recent proposal of mine sent to my Congressman suggested that the copyright
>laws be changed to place a work in public domain if the copyright holder did
>not maintain a reprint of the work every 10 years. Or to allow for the
>copying of any work that was listed as 'Out of Print' with the work being
>officially designated as abandoned by the original copyright owner

To a very limited degree, this is already the case. There is a "fair
use" exception written into the copyright act. It's definition is
quite fuzzy--a list of criteria, with no rules for weighting them or
deciding whether something does or does not make it. But one of the
criteria is the effect of the copying on the revenues of the
copyright holder, or something similar. So copying of something that
is out of print is more likely to count as fair use than copying of
something in print--although actually publishing a complete copy of
an out of print book would, I am sure, exceed the fair use limits.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/