SC - steaks

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 9 20:42:36 PST 1999

Nanna posted for us the three versions of the Lord's Salt recipe.
> O.K., as several people have asked for it, here are the recipes and
> translations. The Codex K version should be more correct than the Icelandic
> version which derives from it.

Thank you, Nanna. I appreciate this. It is interesting to compare and contrast
them.

One thing that caught my eye was the use of the term "steak". This may simply
be an Americanism or my own parochial view though. I remember some agruments
on the Ansteorra list and perhaps here though. So maybe this will shed some
light on those previous discussions. Bear, you were doing some research on
steaks.

> Danish, Codex K:
> Quomodo condiantur assature in salso supradicto.
> Thavær man wil af hænnæ hauæ. tha skal man wællæ hænnæ wæl .i. en pannæ ofnæ
> hetæ gløthær utæn brandæ. oc skal man takæ brathæ af hiort ællær ra. wæl
> spækkæth oc stekæ them wæl. oc skæræ them wæl brethæ. oc thæn timæ thæn
> salsæ ær kald tha skal wildbrath .i. læggæs mæth litælt salt oc thæt ma
> lygge thre ukæ. Swa mughæ man haldæ goth hiortæ brath. giæs oc ændær. of man
> skæR them thiokkæ. thættæ ær the bæstæ salsæ thær herræmæn hauæ.
>
> How to make use of the above sauce. When you want to use some of it, then
> boil it well in a pan on hot embers without flame. And take a steak of hart
> or deer, well larded, and cut into thick slices. And when the sauce is cold,
> then place the game in it with a little salt and it can be kept there for
> three weeks. In this way one can preserve steaks of hart, geese and ducks,
> if cut thick. This is the best sauce that the lords have.

When I think of steak I think of slices of meat. I don't think of a steak as
being other than sliced. In this paragraph "steak" seems to be more used as
synonymous with "chunk of meat" or perhaps "roast" as it then specifies to
cut it into thick slices. Also the second time "steak" is used as "steaks of
hart, geese and ducks" seems to imply a more generic cut than I was thinking
of. Perhaps it is my knowledge of meat cuts which is the problem. Comments,
anyone?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net