SC - Egg Yolks

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Nov 10 20:32:17 PST 1999

I have a question about redacting period recipes that contain eggs,
especially egg yolks.  Many of the Spanish pastry recipes I have been
looking at lately give exact quantities of flour and butter and spice, and
also specify the number of eggs.  I am planning to redact a recipe for
cinnamon rolls*, which calls for 6 egg yolks in the buttery leavened
dough.

I know that HG Cariadoc in the Miscellany estimates that medieval eggs
were about half the size of modern large eggs.  Does the same
conversion apply to yolks?

Advice gratefully received...

*Okay, so the recipe calls it "tortillon relleno" (stuffed pastry-roll), not
cinnamon roll.  It's a rich yeast dough, spread with butter and cinnamon
and sugar; filled with a mixture of currants and dates cooked in wine,
butter, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; loosely rolled up and
allowed to rise, then baked with a glaze of butter, sugar, and rosewater.
So it's not reeeeeally a cinnamon roll... but it's darn close.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann